Kate Silver has been writing professionally for 15 years. She got her start writing news and features as a staff writer in Las Vegas in 1999. Along the way, she's stalked celebrities for People Magazine, co-authored guidebooks on Las Vegas, and investigated off-the-beaten path stories (like one about the so-called “Wedding Chapel Wars,” and another where she "embedded" as a Mary Kay independent beauty consultant for a year) for national outlets.
In 2007, she quit her job as associate editor with Las Vegas Life magazine and took the freelance plunge, eventually moving to Chicago to live closer to family. Today, she juggles a healthy mix of editorial and corporate work, specializing in travel, food, wellness and feature stories. Her work appears in Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, Men's Health and Crain’s Chicago Business. She is the author of Frommer’s Easy Guide to Chicago 2015, and recently completed a book about a winery in Napa Valley.
Looking back on her career, a montage of "best of" moments include the following:
- Attending Butterball University with Butterball Help Line trainees.
- Spending a year embedded in Mary Kay Cosmetics as an independent beauty consultant.
- Interviewing Bea Arthur and sharing restaurant tips with her.
- Getting kicked out of a Justin Timberlake interview for asking tough questions.
- Bicycling through Las Vegas neighborhoods with Mormon missionaries.
- Exploring Colorado City, Arizona, for a story about Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saint community.
- Meeting with a self-proclaimed hit man to discuss crimes wreaking havoc on the wedding industry in Las Vegas. The story was published in Playboy magazine.
Association of Journalists and Author's Best Profile of 2010; "How Mya Saved Jacob," Spirit Magazine.
Custom Publishing Council Pearl Award, 2010, silver medal, “Best Feature Article,” “How Mya Saved Jacob, Spirit Magazine.
City Regional Magazine Association, 2006, gold medal, “52 Things Every Las Vegan Must Do.”
Maggie Award Finalist, 2004, Best Series, Wedding Chapel Wars, Western Publications Association.
Outstanding Journalist, 2003, Nevada Press Association.
Journalist of Merit, 2001, Nevada Press Association.